Security holograms have been first used in security printing to protect MasterCard and VISA credit cards.
The reasons for using holograms and holographic products:
1. Security: Hologram images are impossible to copy or imitate by traditional printing equipment. Holograms are easily recognisable by the end user. Additional tricks like microtext, hidden images and other security features make them a unique optical security device.
2. Promotional effect: Holograms have an attractive appearance and are eye-catching. There is an advertising effect if a name or a logo is on the hologram. Holograms make the goods look more luxury and expensive. Customers usually trust in products with holograms.
3. Cost: When purchased in large quantities, security holograms are a cost-effective method of adding an overt authentication device to an item.
The first holographic company was established in USA and later in Europe. For the last 10 years holography became a powerful industry. Many new companies specialized in security holography and packaging appear in America, Asia and Europe.
Nowadays security holography develops mainly in the following directions:
1. High Security Applications (Banknote and Document protection)
Banknotes, lottery tickets, retail vouchers, tax banderols, personal documents (passports, visas, ID cards, driving licenses, diplomas), vehicle registration, credit cards, phone cards, cheques, transport and insurance documents, certificates
2. Brand Authentication and promotion
Alcohol and tobacco products, pharmacy, drugs, foods, fashion wear, sport goods, spare parts, jewelry, watches, mobile phones, electrical and electronic components, toys, audio and video, software.